Dating sites louth
A feasibility study for restoring the canal for navigation was commissioned in 2004, and the Trust is hoping that this could be a reality by 2020.Despite being separated from the sea by a low coastal plain, which made contact with the wider world difficult, Louth had become a prosperous market town with a forward-looking town corporation by the eighteenth century.Because the canal also acted as a channel for land drainage, it was not subject to infilling, and is now a designated main river, managed by the Environment Agency, with drainage of the surrounding land managed by the Lindsey Marsh Internal Drainage Board.It acts as a feeder for Covenham Reservoir, from which treated water enters the public water supply.By mid-1767, the outfall sluice and lock at Tetney Haven had been completed, as had the first 7 miles (11 km) of cut.The cut was of sufficient depth that water levels were around 2 feet (0.6 m) below the land surface, so that the navigation could act as a land drain as well as a canal.When completed, the commissioners leased the tolls to Charles Chaplin, who held ten shares and was also a commissioner, for an initial period of seven years.
The committee then asked Grundy to accompany them to Lincoln Races, where they would show the plans to the Noblemen and Gentlemen.
At Louth, the River Lud was diverted from its original course to the north of the Riverhead basin, and followed a new course along its south side.
It supplied Bain's Water Mill, from which water discharged into the basin to maintain its level.
Realising that a link to the North Sea would provide opportunities for trade and expansion, they commissioned the engineer John Grundy, Jr. He suggested a route from Louth to Tetney Haven, and on 28 January 1760, subscriptions were invited to pay for a full survey and an Act of Parliament.
The fund soon reached £850, and on 18 February 1760 the town clerk approached John Smeaton to carry out this survey.